Several top European clubs are showing interest in Feyenoord midfielder Tonny Vilhena, according to Voetbal International.
The 21-year-old appears to have set his sights on leaving De Kuip in the summer and he should have no shortage of offers.
Feyenoord coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst attempted to persuade Vilhena to extend his stay, but the youngster is far from happy with the club’s latest contract offer and is almost certain to leave at the end of the season.
FC Porto, Sevilla, Valencia and Hamburg are all keen on the footballer who has shown a great deal of potential since coming through the youth ranks at De Kuip.
Despite his fragile age, the youngster already has 111 Eredivisie appearances to his name, and has so far scored 15 goals.
Vilh…
The Polish Ekstraklasa should have started a fortnight ago, but thanks to on-going corruption investigations, not a single game has been played.
This will change shortly, as on Wednesday the two clubs still in limbo (Korona Kielce and Zaglebie Lubin) will find out what league they will be playing in for the 2008/09 season.
There are four possible outcomes for PolandÂ’s top league from the Tribunal meetings that will occur on Wednesday.
The first option is that both Korona Kielce and Zaglebie Lubin will be cleared of any wrong doings in the corruption scandal that has rocked Polish soccer this year.
Both teams, which are currently listed as second league teams but have not played any such matches, will be brought back up to the Ekstraklasa a…
Pele has stoked the fire ahead of Saturday s friendly between Brazil and Argentina, claiming Neymar is a more complete player than Lionel Messi.
The two players will be the star attractions in New Jersey when the South American rivals clash, having already met on two occasions.
Messi was the winner both times, scoring a magnificent individual effort to secure Argentina s 1-0 victory over Brazil in 2010, before playing his part in a 4-0 thrashing of Santos in the Club World Cup final while in Barcelona colours.
Pele, writing for Argentine newspaper Ole, conceded the Barca star had the edge on the 20-year-old Santos starlet in terms of experience, but maintained that Neymar can do things on the pitch that were beyond Messi s grasp.
In a straight compari…
LA Galaxy head coach Sigi Schmid played down reports linking the MLS side with Manchester United star Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Los Angeles has emerged as a possible destination for 36-year-old Ibrahimovic, who is in the final six months of the contract extension he signed at United last August.
Ibrahimovic was linked with the Galaxy before he joined United from Paris Saint-Germain in 2016 and again prior to re-signing at Old Trafford following a serious knee injury suffered last season.
United manager Jose Mourinho said he would not stop Ibrahimovic from moving to the Galaxy, and responding to the speculation Tuesday, Schmid told LA Galaxy Insider: There s been a lot of talk about it in the past and it s something that maybe gets opened up again.
I don t kno…
Competition: Champions League
Market: Manchester City to beat Basel
Odds:
The Champions League returns for more action in the biggest club competition in world football. Every side left in the competition will have aspirations of winning the whole thing, but they must put their best foot forward in the first-leg of their games and, with this in mind, Manchester City travel to face Basel on Tuesday.
Basel were very good in their Champions League group as they finished second in Group A. After six games they won four and lost two, scoring 11 goals and conceding five times. Their last five games saw the side win four times and lose once as they ended on 12 points. Basel already have good practice in facing a side from Manchester as they finished …
Ligue 1 outfit Monaco are closing in on CSKA Sofia midfielder Ivaylo Chochev, .
The French giants plan to sign the talented footballer as a back up to Jeremy Toulalan and they have been keeping close tabs on his performances of late.
L Equipe reports that Monaco have decided to act, with the player expected in the Principality some time next week.
Ivaylo Chochev began his career at Chavdar Etropole and some impressive showings for the Bulgarian minnows saw him join giants CSKA Sofia in December 2012.
The 21-year-old was in scintillating form last season, making 35 league appearances and scoring no less than 7 goals in the process.
Chochev, who is a member of Bulgaria Under-21 side, seems to have done enough to earn a lucrative move to the Princi…
Cesare Prandelli has thanked the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) for their support during his time as national head coach.
The 56-year-old resigned as Italy boss following their elimination from the FIFA World Cup at the group stage and, earlier on Monday, it was announced that he would replace Roberto Mancini at the helm of Turkish side Galatasaray.
Upon taking the role, he has taken the chance to show his appreciation to the FIGC and reveal his pride at having led the national team for the past four years.
So many things happen in four years, Prandelli wrote in an open letter published on the FIGC s official website. You meet so many people and create so many bonds during the construction of a project.
I would like to thank each and every one of th…
PSV have handed the man who attacked Sevilla goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic during their Europa League meeting a 40-year stadium ban.
The Eredivisie club were eliminated from the competition despite a 2-0 second-leg victory in their knockout round play-off tie last month at Philips Stadion, having lost 3-0 in Spain.
Ugly scenes marred the final moments of clash in Eindhoven, however, when a 20-year-old supporter entered the pitch and attacked Dmitrovic, who subsequently pinned the man before security escorted him away.
The man in question was given an initial two-month prison stint on March 8, and sentenced to an additional one-month inside if he re-offends.
PSV have now confirmed he will face further long-term punishment for his actions, with a stadium ban …
Cristiano Ronaldo was named in Manchester United s starting XI for the first time this season as Erik ten Hag targeted his first win for the club away to Brentford.
Ronaldo started last weekend s shock 2-1 home defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion on the bench due to concerns over his fitness.
The 37-year-old was absent for much of United s pre-season, missing their tour of Thailand and Australia for personal reasons amid widespread reports he wanted to leave.
Ten Hag has been adamant throughout his first few months in charge that United have been planning with Ronaldo for the 2022-23 season, ruling out a departure.
BRING ON UNITED! ||
— Manchester United (@ManUtd)
United will hope Ronaldo s return to the team coincides with an improv…
Portugal must prove why they are favourites against Iceland when the two sides meet in Saint-Etienne on Tuesday, says Vieirinha.
Iceland are taking part in their first international tournament at Euro 2016 and face tricky encounters with Portugal, Austria and Hungary.
Fernando Santos team are widely anticipated to top Group F, and Vieirinha wants them to immediately move towards matching that expectation.
We have to be aware that we are the favourites for this game, but we have to prove it on the pitch, said Vieirinha.
It is essential that we are very concentrated, we cannot let Iceland play how they like. We have to play our game.
The most important thing is concentration, the attitude and the will that we are going to demonstrate.
…